A History and Records
When the Club celebrated its 60th Anniversary in 1981 it was decided to publish a record of our history, and later in 1996 we produced a second edition when we brought it up to date for our 75th Anniversary.
Since 1996 we have continued to work tirelessly to ensure that our cricket ground and our facilities are constantly improved. The Barbados Cricket Association has recognised our efforts by using our premises for several first class fixtures. The year 2007 saw us rise to a new level, as we were chosen to be one of the practice venues for the Barbados leg of Cricket World Cup, and the Committee of Management decided that this was a good time to compile a third revision of the Club’s history.
The early editions saw much research of old minute books, score books, annual reports and many interviews with the older members who were the corner-stones of the Club, and who were able to give valuable information. It was also necessary to visit the Barbados Government Archives Department to obtain some historical details.
The details contained in these pages are taken from the records which were available to the researchers, but understandably some from the earlier days are missing. However, we believe that the facts and the information which we have are sufficiently accurate to be accepted as a true record of the Club’s history.
We have retained a significant portion of the original script and hope that those of you who have read it before will do so again and refresh your memories, while the new members may now learn a bit about the past history of this wonderful Club of which we can be justly proud.
Finally, we would like to thank all those members who assisted in the former publications and in this present one, and especially those who gave us new information which has been added. Further, if any member has any knowledge or information which can prove that anything contained herein is inaccurate, then he or she should inform the Secretary of it as soon as possible so that the appropriate note can be made for the future. The Committee will investigate the same and make any changes needed for future publications, as we want this to be an accurate record of our history.
Now we hope you enjoy this third edition of the Club’s history.
Committee of Management, December 31st, 2008
History of Our Club
The official founding date of Windward Cricket Club is October 11, 1921, but there is evidence that the Club actually had its beginning prior to that date, as is shown in the contents of a letter received by the Secretary of the Club from Mr. Jack Outram, which makes interesting reading. Mr. Outram’s letter is dated November 12, 1968 and reads:—
In your letter about the Windward C.C. I take it that you would like to know about the first W.C.C. which was started around 1892 or 1893.
An English team came out captained by Stade Lucas and soon after, say in a years time another team came out with Arthur Priestly as Captain. Now I am not certain which of those two teams came out first, but the enthusiasm was such that The Windward and Leeward C. C’s, were formed and I think the Spartan C.C. also. Before that year we only had Lodge School, Pickwick, Harrison College, Wanderers and The Garrison.
Now the first Windward used to play on the Grounds of Codrington College. The pavilion was in the Clump of Trees to the right hand side as you enter the avenue. Rev’d: Archdeacon Bindley was the Principal assisted by Rev’d: Gilbertson.
The members that I can remember are: Rev’d: Archdeacon Bindley – President, Mr. Issac Tinling – Colleton — Treasurer, B. I. Outram – Bowmanston – Secretary , Mr. Hampdon Cox – Captain and some of the other playing members were Percy Cox, Allan Cox, Malcolm Greenidge, Herbert S. Thorne, H. Aubrey Williams, C. Clarence Greaves, Arthur Tarilton, E.E. Clarke, Joseph Phillips, Robert Haynes, Dick Smith,
Eustace Smith, Arnold Reece, T. S. Garraway, Mr. Laurie Pile, Norman Simpson and Austin Seale. Nearly all the Planters in St. John, St. Joseph, St. Philip, St. George were members.
The present Windward was formed in 1921 and we used to practice on the pasture by the Pool Woods, until we could get Congo Road Ground in order. I take it that you would have some of the old books of the Present Windward. We started with Charles Armstrong – Captain, Dr. Briggs Clarke – President, Prescod Seale – Treasurer and I was the Secretary.
We had L.O. Ward, K.G. Wood, Lisle Wood, Colin King, Armel Yearwood, Gerald Armstrong, Leo Nourse, Murray Farmer, Guinea Farmer,
Fred Peterkin, Duncan Mayers, Tom Reid, Ernest Ward and several others.
My memory is very bad now, I also enclose five dollars and the bill for this years subs.
I suppose Charles Armstrong or any of the old members of the present W.C.C. will help you out.
The period 1921 to 2007 will now be looked at in more detail than Mr. Outram’s letter gives, however we must be thankful for the efforts to preserve some of the history of our Club before his death.
It is understood that during 1920 the foreman mechanic at Bowmanston Pumping Station, a Mr. Inniss, got together a group of young men from that area and formed their own club. They asked Mr. Charles Armstrong, the then Manager of Pool, for permission to use the pasture by the woods. By this time they had reached some proficiency and asked Mr. Armstrong to get together a team of planters from the surrounding area to give them a game. The names of some of the planters who played in that match were: Mr. C. O. Armstrong of Pool, Mr. Lisle Wood of Hothersal, Mr. A. “Guinea” Farmer of Ashford, Mr. Fred P. Peterkin of Kendal, Mr. L. F. Nourse of Ashbury, Mr. Searle and Mr. “Limmerick” Carmichael of Lemon Arbour and Mr. Clyde Greenidge of Haynes Hill. It cannot be stated with any certainty which side won, but two things were certain i.e. that a good time was had by all, and also that they should continue to function as a club.
The first Windward Club which had operated at Codrington College and of which Mr. Outram wrote, had disbanded so these gentlemen adopted the name of Windward. Mr. Jim Ward of Congo Road was approached and permission was granted for them to rent the ground in front of the plantation house. This was the Club’s home until it was vacated in 1971. Two members of the first Windward came over to the new club, one was Mr. Norman Simpson, who later drew the plans for the old pavilion at Congo Road. The other member who joined forces with the new club was Mr. B. H. V. “Jack” Outram who was mentioned earlier as the author of the letter on the “old club”.
The members of the interim “Committee” until the official rules were drawn up, were: Dr. Briggs Clarke – President, Mr. Prescod Seale – Treasurer, Mr. Jack Outram – Secretary and Mr. Charles Armstrong – Captain. Upon official formation of the club on October 11, 1921, the first president of the
club was Sir John Chandler and the secretary was Mr. Harold Leslie whose name the first rules bear. As has been done in most of our ventures, they depended heavily on the generosity of many, and with very little money to the Club’s credit, they started to build the pavilion. Special mention has always been made of Mr. R. A. Farmer who donated the stone and much of the labour to finish what was to be our Clubhouse for fifty years. Our present pavilion was officially opened on December 21, 1971.
Cricket, as we know, has always been a gentleman’s game and is the best leveller of personalities and our club has always played the game in the true spirit, but also with some spirit, as is exemplified in the following note, sent by Malcolm Greenidge to the Pickwick Cricket Club.
To Aubrey Goodman
Capt. Pickwick C. C.
We are coming with a will
For we are playing Major Hill
And theres Ham and Aubreys two
And theres Barts & Mr. Moulder
And Mac the good old bowler
We are going to brass-riddle
The Pickwicks for true.
M. F. Greenidge
Team: Hambley Cox, Aubrey Worme, Aubrey Williams, Barton Outram, Mr. Moulder (father of Mr. Moulder – Electric Co.)
Windward C. C.
This note was given to us by Mr. Michael W. Clarke after he found it amounst his father’s papers. Mr. Clarke wrote to us saying: “I thought Windward would like this. It is probably a team from around 1900 that I found in my fathers papers. Malcolm Greenidge was my fathers uncle.”
Windward first participated in B.C.A (Barbados Cricket Association) competition in 1922 and carried off the 2nd XI Championship in its second year of competition in 1923. Then we created the enviable record of 4 successive years as champions in 1927, 1928, 1929 and 1930. It is reported that sometime between 1925 and 1935 the ladies started a cricket section but this was short-lived. It is also reported that Hockey was started in the 1930’s and the club boasted some enthusiastic players, but there is no official record that Hockey was played competitively by Windward until 1969.
The Second World War broke out in 1939, and there was a period when no organised cricket was played in Barbados, because balls and other equipment could not be obtained. Along with many of the clubs of that time, our activities were very reduced during those years.
After the war ended in November 1945 efforts were made to resume organised cricket, but it soon became apparent that there were not enough existing members who were interested in continuing the Club’s operations. As a result the Committee of Management at that time decided that the Club would have to be closed.
However, one member had a different view. That member was
Mr. Gerald C. Armstrong, the then Vice President, and the Committee gave him permission to recruit some new members with a view to continuing the operations of the Club. He pursued his dream and as a result was able to bring some younger men into the Club. These new members were men such as Harold Farmer, Geoffrey Armstrong, Keith Durant, Louis Greenidge and Ralph Armstrong who brought new life to the Club and were the nucleus of the immediate post war period. Through the efforts of “Mr Gerald”, as he was known, the Club survived that turbulent time, and indeed many of these new recruits were to have a lasting impact on the Club.
It was not long before Windward was contending for yet another trophy, sharing the 2nd XI Cup with Empire in 1949. The following year we were promoted to the Intermediate Division. In the years 1950 and 1951 the club’s only team played in the Intermediate Division, but we have been able to field two teams, one in the Intermediate Division and one in the Second Division from 1952 to the present time.
In 1951, the Intermediate XI with Mr. Harold Farmer as Captain won the trophy. It is significant to note that in our second year of competition we won the Second Division Trophy in 1923 and, in our second year of competition in the Intermediate Division, we also won the Trophy in 1951. It has been jokingly said that in the 1950’s we continued to survive with considerable assistance from a faithful gasoline lamp, a huge “swizzle” stick and Mr. Gerald Armstrong as Treasurer.
Our cricket teams have never produced a Barbados player, but we do have some members of Windward who have represented the national team in cricket. In 1947 Louis Greenidge represented an Intermediate Barbados Team which played against a visiting Trinidad Team.
From 1947 to 1949 football was played for the first time under the Captaincy of Mr. L. T. Farmer, but on several occasions, because of crop-time duties by some of the members, we could not field a full team, and this game was shelved.
In 1953 the ladies started netball and this game was played with the spirit of test matches. They culminated their efforts by winning the trophy in the “A Division” in 1954 under the Captaincy of Miss E. Williams.
At this time in order to provide facilities for the ladies, the pavilion was extended to the East and a ladies’ room was added for their convenience. This part was most affected by hurricane “Janet” in 1955.
In 1953 Lawn Tennis was also started with the kind permission of the Manager of Congo Road who lent us the lawn to the East of the plantation house and who saw after the preparation of the lawn. However the game was only played that year. In 1958 the ladies played netball for the last time.
Electricity, which we switch on today without as much as a thought, first came to Windward in the form of a D. C. Plant, a loan from Mr. Maurice Armstrong. We rigged up our own generator with the help of a gift here and a gift there. We carried on in this way, until we could install Barbados Light & Power current in 1962, when at this same time the pavilion was extended to the West and a bath for members was added.
During the years 1961-91 the Club moved from strength to strength going to the Intermediate finals on three occasions in 1964, 1967 and being successful in 1969 when we defeated Leeward by a mere one run, under the captaincy of Louis Greenidge.
Following the success of the 1969 Intermediate team the Club slipped into a lean period of cricket. The seventies saw many of the veterans of the sixties disappear from the playing field and a process of rebuilding began. In recent years we began to see improved results and we have been able to place in the top three of our zones in both the Intermediate and the Second divisions. This all climaxed in 2008 when the Intermediate side won its zone and moved into the semi-finals where they defeated North Stars, and then won from Belleplaine in the final played over four (4) days at St. Catherine. Once again, to the joy of all, a cricket trophy was at Windward. During the 2008 season the team also reached the semi-finals of the one day version of the game where they lost to MTW (Ministry of Transport and Works) team, and four of our players namely David Sealy, Sean Harris, Andre Archer (from the Intermediate Division) and Charlie Thornton (from the Second Division) won B.C.A. awards for the season.
In 1969 Hockey and Football were restarted and we entered teams in the official BHA and BAFA competitions. The start of these games was timely, as after we moved to our present site at Lucas Street in 1971 we now had improved facilities including a wonderful, if a bit “bumpy”, playing field. Our membership expanded, and in particular there were suddenly several juniors around, which was to pay dividends especially in hockey and later in tennis. In 1975 the tennis captain Richard Marshall began a coaching programme for juniors which he continued for almost 20 years, and in fact was assisted in the last years by Yvette Thornton, who had been in the initial programme!
In football, our first success was in 1976, when we became the St. Philip League K.O. Champions under the captaincy of Robin Watson. We officially stopped participation in 1989. In Hockey, we were Division II Runners-up in 1977 and National Division II Champions in 1980, during which season we did not lose a single game. In 1980 our hockey team was also the National “6-a-side” finalist, under the captaincy of Ali Whitehead.
Windward’s representation on national teams has not been profuse, but the sport in which we have excelled in this regard is hockey. In 1973 Andy Hutchinson and Keith (Gabby) Edghill represented Barbados at home and overseas. In 1978 Ricky Whitehead and David Kirton represented the national “Under 21” Team. Robin Watson was called to trials in 1977 and represented Barbados in 1977, 1978 and 1979. However, the year 1980 was our most successful in representation. During that year, Windward fielded four players in the “Under 23” National Team, these being Michael Hutchinson, David Kirton, Roger Martin and Ricky Whitehead. The Hockey team continued to do well and the Division II team were runners-up in 1985 and 1986 and our Intermediate team were runners-up in 1989. We regrettably ceased playing competitive Hockey at the end of the 1992 season due to insufficient numbers of interested players, as many of our players were juniors of the same age and went overseas to study leaving a void we never filled.
In 1974 we restarted tennis and officially entered competitive tennis for the first time. Our Ladies team in a short time became a strong force. They were runners-up in Division I for three years, 1980, 1981 and 1982 losing in 1981 by one single game, all under the captaincy of Beverley Johnson.
In 1983 the Division II Ladies Team with Debbie Hutchinson as captain, were runners-up. We entered the winners circle in 1986 by winning the Rothmans Ladies Team Tennis event, which we also retained in 1987. That year our Men’s team under the captaincy of Richard Marshall also achieved victory by winning the Interclub Competition for Division II. Further success came when we won the Penn Mixed Team Tennis Championships in 1989 and the Ladies Division II Interclub Championship in 1991 under the captaincy of Yvette Thornton. Our Ladies team continued to perform creditably in winning the Interclub Division I for three consecutive years in 1992, 1993 and 1994 all under the captaincy of Yvette Thornton. Our Ladies Division II team captained by Bronwen Corbin was runner-up in 1992. Following these successes by the Ladies Team, in 1996 our Men’s team was the runner-up in Division 1 under the captaincy of Michael Hutchinson, and the following year in 1997 Patrick Gibbs led the team to the Division 1 Championship. The Ladies resumed their winning ways in 1998 under the captaincy of Yvette Thornton, and then in 2001 when competition was reduced to one division they were again champions under the leadership of Sue Rogers. In 2002 both teams registered success with the Men winning the Division 2 championship with Roger Martin as captain, while the Ladies were runners-up with Linda Ann Ridout as captain.
Junior National representatives over the years have been Kristina Armstrong, David Armstrong, Ray Martin, Sue Rogers, Liza Ward, Ryan Greaves,Tricia-Ann Greaves and Dwayne Williams. Kristina Armstrong and Sue Rogers went on to represent Barbados in the Phillips Trophy Team and Ray Martin was invited to the Davis Cup Team Trials.
In 1975 the Club began internal Sportsman/Sportswoman awards on an annual basis. These awards do not only cover what takes place on the field of play, but also covers sportsmanship attitudes off the field.
In 1978 we entered the Barbados Darts Association Championships for the first time. The team was extremely successful in the 1979 season, winning three of the four Division II Championships under the captaincy of Beverley Johnson. We played in both Divisions I and II for five years and won the Ladies Division II Championship in 1983, but we have not participated in the official Darts competitions since 1987.
The Club can boast of two National players in darts. These are Barbara Taylor and Beverley Johnson. Several male members were called to trials but none were selected for national duty.
In 1981, we re-entered the National Table Tennis Championships but this was discontinued in the year 1986 because of lack of interest.
Three of our Junior Cricketers, namely Raymond Thornton, Carleon Brome Jnr. and Mark Edghill, were selected to represent Barbados Under 13 Team on a tour of the United Kingdom in July 2001 under the auspices
of the National Sports Council. In 2004 Carleon was again selected to tour
St. Vincent with the Under 15 team to compete against other Caribbean territories. In 2005 Gary Weekes was selected to the under 13 team and the following year David Allamby joined him in this age group for a tour to St. Kitts, while Renald Bourne was chosen to tour United Kingdom with the Under 17 team.
We have tried to give a synopsis of our sporting activities in the preceding paragraphs, but needless to say much has been done to the premises and surroundings of the Club over the years since we moved from Congo Road to Lucas Street. One must remember that our present playing area was formerly a sugar cane field, and bore little resemblance to its present magnificence.
In 1971 we dedicated our new pavilion and extended these facilities even further in 1981 by the addition of 1300 square feet to the north of the existing building, which catered to the provision of increased bar facilities and ladies bathrooms. Further internal modifications were made in 1999 involving enlarging the visitors’ dressing room, and making provision for a public toilet. Increased water storage capacity of 1200 gallons was also installed in 2000 to alleviate the water shortage problems associated with the dry season. A concrete practice wicket was built in 1981/82 at the north-western part of our property and a second one was added in 1996. Two concrete block sightscreens were erected in 1998, and two curved concrete block walls were erected in 2000 which highlight the entrance to our property. The two wooden frame entrance doors were replaced in 2002 with solid aluminium shutter doors, as the mechanism for the wooden doors was in bad shape and was not allowing for adequate function. That year we also replaced the wooden boundary markers with a 3 inch diameter rope defining the cricket boundary. The wooden picket fence in front of the pavilion was replaced by a PVC fence in 2003, and a decorative PVC chain and supporting poles were added which runs from the picket fence outside the boundary to the southern sightscreen. The cricket square was also increased in 2003 by the addition of a third wicket allowing for more options by the Cricket Committee in practice sessions and match preparation. In 2004 the southern side of the cricket square was regraded to reduce the slope at this end of the wicket. During the same year the entire property was fenced with 5 foot chain link fencing. In 2005 the asphalt around the tennis courts was replaced with concrete and the courts were repainted. At the same time the fences at the southern and western sides of the courts were replaced with chain link fencing. In late 2005 the Club invested in irrigation equipment and our cricket field was irrigated for the first time in April 2006 using water extracted from the neighbouring Congo Road Estates Ltd. Our sincere thanks go out to numerous benefactors not the least of whom are the owners of Congo Road. They can rest assured that these premises will be here to enhance what was started in 1921 and we shall be trying at all times to improve what we have inherited from our predecessors.
At the beginning of 2007 a decision was made to begin a process of improving our bar facilities. Mr John Thornton was contracted to carry out this task, and we have been able to achieve more space in the serving area which will be appreciated by those serving behind the bar, especially when we stage our dinner theatre nights. Stage two of the renovations will be to improve the bar facing the tennis courts, and this will be done at a later stage.
In July 1995 a party of 15 members accompanied by some wives and children, visited South Wales and England for a three week Cricket tour, this being our first major overseas Cricket tour. The tour was an outstanding success in that Windward won seven of the eleven fixtures played, drew two and lost two. After we returned home from the first tour in 1995, we started a junior coaching programme with some of our younger members, and this programme soon became very popular. The numbers grew quickly and we were soon seeing some 25 boys on Saturday mornings; regretfully we have seen a decline in these numbers recently. The programme was initiated by Charlie Thornton with help from Carl Brome,Tony Edghill, Richard Cox and Mark Weekes. These members have worked tirelessly since the programme started to ensure that the future of our cricket is strong, and indeed many of these boys have gone on to represent the Club, and one, Mark Edghill, represented Pickwick in 2008 in the First Division. Regrettably, despite many appeals for assistance with the programme, our veteran coaches were unable to find reliable help, and were forced to terminate the programme in late 2008.
The popularity of this first tour has prompted five (5) others in 1997, 1999, 2002, 2004, and 2006. Our members have had a wonderful opportunity to be exposed to cricket under different conditions and to meet a variety of people and create lasting memories. It has also been good for our younger players as we have on the last 3 tours carried some of our juniors who can only benefit from their experience.
An annual cricket match against the Police (Southern Division) was inaugurated in 1979 and was first sponsored by Caribbean Graphics Ltd. Police won the first match in 1979 and thereafter in 1983, 1984, 1987, 1992 and 1993. Windward won in 1980, 1982, 1985, 1988, 1995, 1997, 1998 and 2000. For various reasons the game was not played in 1981,1986,1989,1990,1991, 1994, 1996 and 1999.
The sponsorship changed in 2001 to Gale’s Agro Products Ltd. with results as follows:
2002……..Police 2006……..No match played
2003…….Windward 2007……..No match played
2004……..No match played 2008……..No match played
We celebrated our 75th Anniversary with a Week of Activities ending with a formal reception on 11 October, 1996 at which the Minister of Sport, the Honourable Rudolph Greenidge made the feature address and Mr. Tony Cozier was Master of Ceremonies.
In 2001 we celebrated our 80th Anniversary with a Dinner and Presentation Ceremony on 12 October at Sunbury House. At this function presentations were made to selected members for their past outstanding contributions to the Club; awards were made posthumously to Harold Farmer, Tom Bryan, Robert “Bobby” Watson and Peter Farmer and the other awardees were Geoffrey Armstrong, Ralph Armstrong, Brian Ward, Hensley Robinson, Peter Cave, Malcolm Martin, Brenhilda Watson, Hazel Farmer, Janet Armstrong and Esther Bryan.The feature address was made by Sir John Stanley Goddard and Lady Goddard presented the awards.
When we moved to Lucas Street in 1971 we really moved to an old sugar cane field, and members of the time worked tirelessly to get it into condition for play in the local competitions. Successive management committees, and grounds committees in particular, have strived to keep improving our facilities.
All the hard work and effort of our grounds committees finally bore fruit in 1997 when the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) rented our premises to stage the Intermediate Final of that year. Two years later in 1999 they chose Lucas Street for use in the Nortel Under19 matches.
However it was in 2000 that one of our proudest moments came, when we were chosen as the venue for the first international game to be ever played away from Kensington Oval in over 100 years. The game was played on August 22nd to 25th between Barbados and a visiting South African “A” team and ended in a draw. It is of interest that players like Graeme Smith, who was appointed captain of the Test side 3 years later, took part in that game along with Justin Kemp, Andre Nel, Nickie Boje, Justin Ontong, Ashwell Prince and Robin Peiterson all of whom went on to represent their country at Test level.
Our relationship with the BCA continued and the Second Division Final was played at our ground in 2001, while it was also used for the Sir Garfield Sobers Competition in 2002 and 2003 and BCA trial games in 2002. More recently in December 2006 the First Division Final between Carlton and YMPC was hosted at Windward with YMPC taking the trophy.
In 2003 we saw territorial games come to Windward for the first time as the BCA embarked on a policy to carry these games to the people. Two games were played at Windward in the Carib Beer sponsored tournament for that year; the first saw the West Indies “A” team play India “A”, and this was another first as we saw teams outside of the regular territorial teams participating in the tournament.The second match saw Barbados playing against the visiting India “A” team from February 8th to 11th, and the game was won by Barbados by an innings and 77 runs within 3 days.
A further touch of the international cricket world came in the 2004 season when Kenya visited and participated in the Carib Beer competition. Barbados played them at Windward from February 6th to 9th, winning the game by 8 wickets. That season the Semi-finals for the Regional One Day Competition were played at Windward on October 28th and 29th with the respective matches being Barbados vs Trinidad and Guyana vs Windward Islands. Victories were recorded by Trinidad and Guyana, with the latter going on to take the Trophy.
We were only given one game in the 2005 season in the Carib Beer competition, and it was played between Barbados and Jamaica from January 21st to 24th, with a victory for Jamaica in 3 days. However we were used to host 3 games in the Preliminary Round of the Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) knockout tournament in October. Some history, and a great deal of excitement, was created in the match between Guyana and the Leeward Islands as it ended in a tie, and it is believed to be the only tie ever recorded in regional competition.
During 2006 three one day internationals were played at Lucas Street. The first two were on March 17th and 19th between a visiting England “A”
You will see from the above that by 2006 our Club had become a recognised venue for local and international games. The Committee of Management believed that with the fast approaching Cricket World Cup 2007 we should make it known that we wanted to be considered as a practice venue for this once in a lifetime event coming to our shores.
A decision was made to pursue this and a sub-committee was appointed to carry it forward. This sub-committee was chaired by Charlie Thornton and comprised Anthony Bryan, Richard Marshall, Carl Brome, Clyde Gibson and Paul Allen.
Initial meetings were held with the Local Organising Committee headed by the late Mr. Stephen Alleyne and we were informed of the criteria we would have to meet in order to be considered as a venue. There were several standards we needed to meet, but the major ones were the condition of the out field, the question of security, and the pavilion facilities. There were regular inspections from the CWC Committee, and we were finally approved. The Local Organising Committee and ourselves were finally able to reach agreement on the rental of the premises and signed off on this remarkable moment in our history. There were initial practice sessions before the preliminary matches and the teams using our premises were New Zealand, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Scotland. The final eight teams were all scheduled to use the facilities during the Super 8 matches and these were: Ireland, Bangladesh, England, Australia, West Indies, South Africa, Sri Lanka, and New Zealand.
The sessions were well supervised by Charlie Thornton, Anthony Bryan and the team of ground staff and indeed it should be noted that some of the teams’ management took time out to offer us congratulations on the preparation of the wicket, and our premises with their magnificent surroundings. We can be well satisfied with our achievements from 1921 to 2008.
In as much as the Club’s existence has been linked to lands of Congo Road Plantation, we thought it would be interesting to write something about Congo Road Plantation itself.
The area where Congo Road Plantation is located is shown on Richard Ford’s map of 1674 as being owned by EVANS. On William Mayo’s map of 1721 EVANS is also shown as the owners of Congo Road. These maps also show that an area West of Six Roads was known as “Conger Road”. The 1680 Census of Land Owners shows that the same area was owned by a Mr. Peter Evans, the Census shows that area as 215 acres.
The Will of Henry Evans in 1747 (Ref: 26/273) reads as follows:
Henry Evans late of Barbados but now of Surrey, England, Testators corpse to be transported to Barbados and buried in a vault of the garden of “Conger Road” Plantation among my ancestors. Plantation bequeathed to testators godson and kinsman Henry Evans Holder, the second son of John Holder of Joes River Plantation.
In 1779 (Deed – Ref: R-B 1/151/231/333) Henry Evans Holder sold the Plantation – 200 acres – to his brother John Alleyne Holder for £10,200 (B’dos) together with 60 slaves (5 of whom were lepers). In this deed the Plantation is named as Congo Road for the first time – until then it was known as “Conger Road”. It should also be interesting to know that the £10,200 were Barbados Pounds, which at the time of sale were worth 30% less than the £ Sterling.
It is recorded in the 1816 Slave Insurrection report that Henry Alleyne Holder of Congo Road Plantation, son of John Alleyne Holder suffered £2,436 damage. (Therefore it is reasonable to assume that the Plantation was passed from father to son) . It is interesting to note that the Insurrection report names the Plantation as “Congor Road”.
For information purposes, the 1816 Slave Insurrection started at Baileys Plantation, St. Philip, on Easter Sunday of that year.
The 1825 map by a British Military Engineer named Barrallier gives Hon. Henry Alleyne Holder as the owner of Congo Road Plantation.
Between 1825 and 1846 it has not been researched to find out who owned the Plantation, as the 1846 Barbados Handbook shows that Congo Road Plantation of 281 acres is owned by Thomas G. King who apparently sold it to Samuel Browne as the 1860 and 1870 Barbados Almanac and the 1887 Barbados Business and General Directory all show the owner as Samuel Browne – the area as 281 acres and that the Plantation had a 12 horsepower Steam Mill.
There were then obviously many years of Financial and Legal problems as the record of the Chancery Courts show that three (3) court proceedings took place.
1886 – 1890 F. Browne versus S. Browne
1892 – 1893 J. Manning versus Thomas Daniel
1901 – 1905 T. Yearwood versus Thomas Daniel
Although these three cases mainly related to Congo Road Plantation, they also included Sandy Hill Plantation and The Grove Plantation.
The Plantation passed from Samuel Browne to Thomas Daniel – an English Broker through the Chancery Court. It appears that Mr. Daniel then also encountered financial problems and Mr. Browne somehow retained ownership as he sold it to Mr. E. L. Ward in 1904 for £4,188 Sterling – 281 acres is shown as the area on the deed. (Ref. BSIR No: 15-73).
The 1913 Sinckler’s Handbook shows Mr. E. L. Ward and Mr. J. W. Ward as owners – area 281 acres.
The 1935 Barbados Year Book shows Mr. J. W. Ward as the owner – area 281 acres.
The 1957/58 West Indies and Caribbean Year Book shows Oldbury Estates Ltd., as the owner – (Oldbury Estates Ltd., was owned by the Wards). (These Wards are the ones Windward was associated with as you will understand later).
Since the Ward family purchased Congo Road Plantation containing 281 acres from Samuel Browne in the year 1904, the first agreement to use a part of the land for a cricket field and pavilion was negotiated with Mr. Jim Ward. The rental paid was $12.00 per year from 1921 up to 1960. In 1960 we asked if we could extend the cricket field approximately fifty (50) feet across the eastern length of the field. This was done with the owners permission and at that time, the rental was increased to $24.00 per year. The rent remained at that level until we moved to our new and present location in 1971.
The reason for leaving the old or original ground after fifty (50) years was that the Wards wanted to sell the Plantation. (The Plantation was then under the ownership of Oldbury Estates Ltd., a company controlled by the Wards).
There is a little history associated with this move also, and in 1969 before the Plantation was sold, the Committee of Management wanted to buy the Plantation, but was advised that legally this was not possible, as a Club should not own a Plantation. It was then that Coverly Ltd., (the majority of Coverly Shareholders being members of Windward) offered to buy the Plantation to preserve Windward. It was thought to be unfortunate when another higher offer was received by the owners. But the members did not realise at that time there was little to worry about, as although it was a tough negotiation, the Ward family who were selling the Plantation were determined that Windward would be preserved. It was finally agreed that Windward Cricket Club would be sold six (6) acres of land where our present facilities are located by the new owners of the Plantation. The new owners then agreed to sell Windward the six acres at 25 cents per acre or a total sum of $1.50. It was a difficult battle but out of it we now have a beautiful site and excellent facilities, thanks to the thoughtful members who would have bought the Plantation to preserve our Club, thanks to the Ward family for not leaving us by the wayside when we needed support, and finally, thanks to the current owners for understanding our members plight in trying to preserve and build on what was started in 1921.
In 1975 we began our Internal Annual Sportsman/Sportswoman Awards. In 1975, we also dedicated a trophy to the memory of Mr. Ralph Farmer. The Ralph Farmer Memorial Trophy was originally to be awarded to the Most Outstanding Club Member, however, in 1977 this was changed to be awarded to the Most Outstanding Junior Sportsman of the year. The recipients of this trophy are shown in “Club Records”.
Some Remarkable Achievements and Interesting Points
There are some quite remarkable achievements in our Club history:
Under the Captaincy of Louis Greenidge the Intermediate Division Cricket Team won the final at Harrison College grounds versus Leeward by a single run – Leeward batted last and the game was played on December 13, 20 and 27, 1969.
Ten (10) years later, under the Captaincy of Beverley Johnson the Second Division Darts Team won three of the four Team Championships. One of these was the “Most Games” Championship. After playing some 225 singles and doubles games, Windward won this Championship by a single game. This was played during the BDA 1979 season.
In the 1980 Barbados Men’s Hockey Association season, the Windward team won the League Championship. Under the Captaincy of Ali Whitehead, the team played a total of twenty-one (21) games and did not lose a single game during the entire season.
In the 1981 Barbados Lawn Tennis Association season, the Windward Ladies team under the captaincy of Beverley Johnson were runners-up to the Barbados Yacht Club. However, quite remarkably the winners and runners-up together played over eleven hundred (1100) singles and doubles games of tennis and Windward lost the Championship by a single game.
On four (4) different occasions, all ten wickets of the opponents were taken by “Farmers”, twice by Raynal Farmer and Peter Farmer, once against Lodge School and once against Empire, once by Raynal Farmer alone against The Lodge School. The fourth occasion however is the
most remarkable achievement, Raynal Farmer took 5 wickets for 0 runs and Harold Farmer 5 wickets for 5 runs when they bowled out Cable & Wireless for a total score of 5 runs (there were no extras).
D.A.K. (Drake) Edghill is the only batsman in the Club’s history to score a double century. This was 201 not out against YMCA in the 1965 season in the Intermediate Division. He is also the only bowler to get all ten wickets in an innings in the Intermediate Division. He got 10 for 18 against Cable & Wireless, also in the 1965 season.
In the Second Division, the only bowler to get all ten wickets in an innings is Raynal Farmer who got 10 for 37 against The Lodge School during the 1965 season.
Although many hat-tricks have been accomplished by Windward bowlers in both divisions, the only two “beaver” tricks on record were performed by Louis Greenidge against Empire in the 1950’s and Peter Farmer against Cable & Wireless in 1967. Both of these were achieved in the Intermediate Division.
In 1938 vs Pickwick, J. C. King and H. A. Gill played out sixteen overs (including thirteen maidens) to save the match for Windward. The first nine overs were maidens, the score being thirteen without loss in the end.
In the 1937 and 1938 seasons, J. C. King was Windward’s most consistent batsman, scoring double figures in 85% of his innings, the majority being over 40. For the 1937, 1938, 1941, 1942 and 1943 seasons, he scored double figures in 70% of his innings, being out for zero on only two occasions.
In the 1941, 1942 and 1943 seasons, eight ball overs were bowled.
In 1957 Hugh Johnson struck six (6) consecutive boundaries in an over out of the ground at the former club property at Congo Road, but the boundaries were twos and fours , and so he was designated with six fours.
The format for the Second Division was changed in 2001 to a 35 overs maximum per team for the first day only, thereby enabling a first innings decision by the end of day one. The second and final day reverted back to the original format.
No individual Windward batsman has to date scored two centuries in the same match. Geoffrey Marshall has come the nearest to achieving this feat, when in 2003 he scored 154 not out and then 97 not out vs Lords C.C. in an Intermediate match. Geoffrey, who was captain reached his 97 at close of play on the second day and in the interest of the game declared the innings closed on the third day without giving himself the chance to achieve this feat, an act of remarkable selflessness.
In 1972 in the 2nd Division, Barclays scored 136 for 2 in eight overs to win. Willie Gittens and Mike Seale added 116 runs for the second wicket in 6 overs.
In 1972 the 2nd XI against Banks were bowled out for a total of 9 after Peter and Ronald Webster had put on an opening partnership of 7. After being led by 81 runs, Windward lost the match by a mere 10 runs.
One day in October 1977 Malcolm Martin approached Richard Marshall and asked a very simple question, “Why don’t we put on a stage play at Windward?” Richard’s response was, “Sure, why not!” From that beginning Malcolm and Richard decided to introduce stage plays at Windward in the hope of making some money for the Club. This first effort which was actually considered an experiment was staged in January 1978.
The first four plays which were staged at the Club were all written by members. The first two “The Trial” and “Paynie” were both written and directed by Malcolm. In 1980, Marcelle Ward wrote “Dottie’s Dilemma” and in 1981 Marcelle was the major author of “Windward Over The Years”, which was written and produced in celebration of the Club’s 60th anniversary. When the club reached its 75th anniversary in 1996 Marcelle, at Richard’s request, updated the 1981 script and with the assistance of Diana “Pooka” Yhap, Adonia Evelyn, and Marina Corbin more dance numbers were added to present the delightful “Melodies and Memories”.
Thereafter, Richard took over and has directed a play every year. These plays have all been chosen because of the elements of comedy and farce in them, and have proven to be very entertaining. They have been the major source of income for the past 30 years and today the financial survival of the Club is very dependent upon these productions. Other plays which have been staged at the Club have been: Not In The Book (1982), Move Over Mrs. Markham (1983), Not Now Darling (1984), Run For Your Wife (1985), No Sex Please! We’re British (1986), See How They Run (1987), There Goes The Bride (1988), Key For Two (1989), Play On and Christmas in Fustic Village, (1990), The Odd Couple (1991), Pull The Other One (1992), (No stage production in 1993), No Room For Love (1994), Uproar in the House (1995), Melodies & Memories (1996), Out of Order(1997), Funny Money (1998), Boeing-Boeing (1999), Love, Sex and the I.R.S. (2000), The Reluctant Bride (2001), Run For Your Wife (revival) (2002), When Did You Last See Your Trousers (2003), Don’t Dress For Dinner (2004), Move Over Mrs. Markham (revival) (2005), Bedside Manners (2006) and Funny Business (2008).There was no production in 2007 as we had rented our club to Cricket World Cup from January to April.
In staging productions, the young members of the Club have not been forgotten, and after using some of the then children in 1981, Richard directed three Xmas productions using the youth. In 1983 there was “Dick Whittington”, in 1985 “Cinderella”, and in 1991 an adaption of “A Christmas Carol” was done in conjunction with the junior choir of Codrington High School.
The Management of the Club greatly appreciates the efforts of all those many people who have acted in these plays and continue to do so year after year, giving freely of their time and talent.